View Single Post
Old 09-10-18, 11:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,723 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teen Girl ADHD questions and med questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandeluca View Post
I have got question about medication for ADHD/general questions. We have made it to age 14 without meds. Not that this is a medal, but the reason I had not was because I was really trying without moreso, because she has another condition that really needed figuring out/lots of attention and I never wanted to add 'one more variable' in when trying to figure out those meds. That is ok, so I'm considering so I have some questions

1. In general do these meds help kids to improve executive functioning/planning or is it just for focus?

2. We have another condition here that runs hand in hand with ADHD (epilepsy) which is very controlled, but still we are on meds. I was wondering, in teen girls, when the period/puberty arrives, do ADHD girls ever become less focused? (in general). I swear that mine has become a bit less focused since that time. It is not Bart Simpson runing around or anything, just 'unfocused' more than normal to me.

3. I find I have Negative Nellie/Looking at the glass empty/Ms Complainer-can meds help shift this?

4. Over the years, the girls adhd/social component was my biggest concert. Though it's a lot better...I feel like I am always coaching/giving 'scenarios' that my daughter swears never happens in any other household except ours. I was wondering...Do the meds help this social piece. Have any of you just been so happy that you did it?

5. Lastly--are adhd meds the kind of thing that are 'structured' when they get it? For example, if she miss a seizure meds, she may get one. It is almost like they are addictive for lack of better word. What about the adhd meds. I feel like I hear people give them or not always, or not on weekends or summer, etc.

Thanks in advance..I don't even know what med to start with -as I plan to talk to the doctor. The med merry go round was stressful with the other condition. I wonder if I have what it takes this time around
V
Hi, welcome to the forum.

1. I think my main benefit of meds for my granddaughter was focus.
She still struggled to turn in assignments that she had finished the night before.
Finally she switched to online school and that problem was solved.

2. Puberty is a change for boys and girls, whether they have adhd or not.
They start having different feelings which can be distracting.

Foggy brain a few days before the period happens to all girls and women.
It's just a bigger problem for those with adhd.

3. We saw a huge change in the way my granddaughter felt about herself and
the world in general after starting meds.

Before meds, she would argue with everything we said to her, whether it made
sense or not. She would beat herself on the head, saying she was stupid.

After meds, she had the space in her mind to hear what we were saying and to
decide whether she agreed or not.

She was still down on herself, but not as badly. Depression and anxiety are
often comorbid with adhd (as if you don't have enough to consider already)
and my granddaughter who is 20 now still struggles with both of those.

4. I can't really say whether the meds helped my granddaughter with social
skills. Maybe if we'd started them sooner, instead of waiting until puberty?

5. Addictive isn't the right word here, it's dependent. Just as a person who is
nearsighted is dependent on contacts or glasses.

You will find a lot of different opinions on taking the meds every day, or taking
weekend and vacation "med breaks."

I'm in the camp that says adhd doesn't take a day off, so why put our bodies
through the constant adjustment between having the meds on board or not.

Yes, I said bodies. The meds don't just affect our minds, there can be side
effects and just as we begin to get used to them and they aren't as bothering,
if you stop you have to adjust to that change, and again to the change when
you start taking them again.

That said, it can be a good idea to take a break for a couple of weeks once a
year to see if you can do as well without them.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
benito (09-10-18)