View Single Post
Old 09-10-18, 01:48 PM

italianstallion is on a distinguished road
Re: Teen Girl ADHD questions and med questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandeluca View Post
I have got question about medication for ADHD/general questions. We have made it to age 14 without meds. Not that this is a medal, but the reason I had not was because I was really trying without moreso, because she has another condition that really needed figuring out/lots of attention and I never wanted to add 'one more variable' in when trying to figure out those meds. That is ok, so I'm considering so I have some questions

1. In general do these meds help kids to improve executive functioning/planning or is it just for focus?

2. We have another condition here that runs hand in hand with ADHD (epilepsy) which is very controlled, but still we are on meds. I was wondering, in teen girls, when the period/puberty arrives, do ADHD girls ever become less focused? (in general). I swear that mine has become a bit less focused since that time. It is not Bart Simpson runing around or anything, just 'unfocused' more than normal to me.

3. I find I have Negative Nellie/Looking at the glass empty/Ms Complainer-can meds help shift this?

4. Over the years, the girls adhd/social component was my biggest concert. Though it's a lot better...I feel like I am always coaching/giving 'scenarios' that my daughter swears never happens in any other household except ours. I was wondering...Do the meds help this social piece. Have any of you just been so happy that you did it?

5. Lastly--are adhd meds the kind of thing that are 'structured' when they get it? For example, if she miss a seizure meds, she may get one. It is almost like they are addictive for lack of better word. What about the adhd meds. I feel like I hear people give them or not always, or not on weekends or summer, etc.

Thanks in advance..I don't even know what med to start with -as I plan to talk to the doctor. The med merry go round was stressful with the other condition. I wonder if I have what it takes this time around
V
1. I think they help with all of the above. This is my personal opinion, but I believe that by helping my executive function, the meds also give me better focus. I can prioritize what is most important and focus on that. Otherwise I try to do 20 things at once, get stressed out and end up completing none of the tasks.
It is not a magic focus pill though, things that are boring are still going to be boring, but it definitely helps. Can you expect to stay entirely focused all the way through a 3 hour lecture? Absolutely not. But I definitely get wayyy more out of it on meds than I would without. But everyone is different.

3. This is definitely how I am when off meds, or was for a lot of my life before being prescribed. I would spend countless time complaining about everything and ranting about how it wasn't fair, impossible etc., instead of just doing it. Looking back I feel as though at times the only way I knew how to socialize was through complaining. The meds definitely greatly changed this, as it gave me the ability to see everything was not so bad and I could just get things done and move on instead of dwelling on them.

4. I think the meds definitely helped me socially. I was not diagnosed unit I was 18 years old. This was the result of traditional old fashion parents and a doctor saying you do not have ADHD, not believing in medication etc. etc. I think I am much more confident on the meds which allows me to socialize better. I am actually present to the moment and can actually contribute to conversations because I am LISTENING and can think about it. I think I was pretty anxious and depressed a lot of the time due to my ADHD, which made me afraid of everything and not fit in.Being able to focus on one thing at a time definitely turned all that around. I can't undo the effect of this first 17 years on my self confidence but better late than never.

5. It depends on the med, the doctor etc. Everyone is different as I said. For me personally, if I am not on meds I turn into a plant and will do close to nothing productive. My mood is definitely not as good and I feel low energy. That being said, if you take the meds too much you can build up a tolerance which I think happened to me and forced me to switch meds a couple times. But tolerance is a very controversial topic and it is different for everyone. If you don't need to do anything important, e.g. it's a weekend or vacation, it can be a good idea to give your body a break. You will find what works best.

Hope this helps. It all works out in the end!
Sponsored Links