View Single Post
Old 09-11-18, 01:49 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,005 Times in 14,801 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Teen Girl ADHD questions and med questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandeluca View Post
Hi Vandeluca and welcome. I will share what I know having raised 2 kids to adulthood with the youngest at age 15. (oldest is 22, then 18)
1. In general do these meds help kids to improve executive functioning/planning or is it just for focus?
I like to think that the executive function/focusing goes hand in hand with each other. One cant be good without the other IMO. So for her to have good executive function, she needs to focus better and vice versa. Meds when they are the right kind and dose, do help with this.

Quote:
2. We have another condition here that runs hand in hand with ADHD (epilepsy) which is very controlled, but still we are on meds. I was wondering, in teen girls, when the period/puberty arrives, do ADHD girls ever become less focused? (in general). I swear that mine has become a bit less focused since that time. It is not Bart Simpson runing around or anything, just 'unfocused' more than normal to me.
Hormones wreak havoc on adhd and meds too. I know for me, right around the time of my period I can be off the wall whether or not I have taken my meds.

Quote:
3. I find I have Negative Nellie/Looking at the glass empty/Ms Complainer-can meds help shift this?
This is a tough one. On one hand the amount of complaining, apathy,sighing,grumbling and obstinence is very appropriate and common. On the other hand having adhd with those common things can make them worse. I'd like to say meds do help with this.

Quote:
4. Over the years, the girls adhd/social component was my biggest concert. Though it's a lot better...I feel like I am always coaching/giving 'scenarios' that my daughter swears never happens in any other household except ours. I was wondering...Do the meds help this social piece. Have any of you just been so happy that you did it?
Can you elaborate on this so I understand?

Quote:
5. Lastly--are adhd meds the kind of thing that are 'structured' when they get it? For example, if she miss a seizure meds, she may get one. It is almost like they are addictive for lack of better word. What about the adhd meds. I feel like I hear people give them or not always, or not on weekends or summer, etc.

Thanks in advance..I don't even know what med to start with -as I plan to talk to the doctor. The med merry go round was stressful with the other condition. I wonder if I have what it takes this time around
V
People say they are addictive. I would say they are prone to abuse because of the euphoria that can come with taking high doses. When taken as directed they actually reduce the chances of drug and alcohol problems. I do not personally believe in taking breaks from meds because my adhd never takes a break however I have heard of parents giving their kids a break and I did with one of mine and both ways there were no problems.

I carried a watermelon?