View Single Post
Old 09-11-18, 02:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,401 Times in 15,008 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Balance between accomodating for ADHD and discipline

Hi Daniel:
two things I can share with you...punishments are punitive and aren't necessarily whats going to work for correcting behavior. Its much more effective to reward good behavior when you see it then punish bad behavior. Especially since with adhd kids, there tends to be a lot of correcting. The other thing is natural consequences. And this continues into their teen years. I will not rehash it here but check out my thread called "she left" about my 18 year old. We had to set up natural consequences. They seemed punitive but when you look at what was taken away or done as a result of her behavior they were actually natural consequences. Sometimes we as parents have to lay the parameters for these consequences. When my one daughter was little she fooled around every morning getting ready for pre-school I told her if she kept it up she was going to school in her pj's and she could explain why she wasn't in clothes. This wasnt meant to be cruel because it was not like she was in danger wearing pj's to school but the fact that people asked her why because she wouldnt follow directions made her get her act together. I think I had tp take her to school three times in her pj's and that was it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-11-18)