View Single Post
Old 10-16-05, 01:46 PM

Thanked 10,315 Times in 3,244 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Okay,

I'll try and (briefly) explain the Executive Functions in relation to social ineptitude.

However, I would GREATLY appreciate it if you'd please find the time to read some of the references I'm posting before responding to this.

It's an EXCERCISE IN FRUSTRATION for me to post a response that required me to pull out my notes from Door Co ,online presentations by Russ or The second Edition of ADHD: A Handbook for Diagnosis & Treatment (1998), only to have the person asking the question respond without taking the time to even look at the references.

I realize this is the internet, but the complete answer to this question is explained in greater detail in the references.

However, this will suffice.

Also, before I do, let me add that I regret the abuse you or anyone else had to endure.

I'm the guy who gets subpoenaed (almost always as the child's therapist, although I have gone in the capacity of the psychometrist once or twice ) so that the child doesn't have to take the witness stand.

That way one of the attorney's can come after me instead of the kid.

Truth be told, I found that I have a talent for this.

While I don't like going, I almost always learn something that I can apply to my practice .

Okay, with respect to the question at hand, entire books have been written on this, so I'll try to do it justice.

The term "Executive Functions" is an umbrella construct if you will that are , in truth, the cognitive components that contribute to self-regulation.

Another way to put that is"the higher order cognitive processes involved in the regulation of behavior,inhibition of impulses, sequential thinking,planning and organization".

My references for this part are an online presentation by Russ Barkely in 2000, ADHD and the Nature of Self-Control (1997), the Handbook (2nd edition), The ADHD Book of Lists (2003) and my notes from Door County 2003.

Besides the educational domain of academic performance, the second most negatively impacted domain of human behavior affected by ADHD is INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS.

In order to present without being socially inept, there's more to it than just not picking up on social cues.

Part of the reason for that is a lack of inhibiton and self -control.

The ability to inhibit behvior is the foundation of many mental abilites. The ability to wait,the ability to stop responding and not respond to an event.

All other species are stimulus responders to their environment. Humans are not.

Humans build in a pause between the stimulus and the decision to respond.

In that gap, fall all of our uniquely human qualities.

This is the foundation, the ability to wait,the ability to to stop responding and not respond to an event.

In other words, Barkley is saying that INHIBITION IS THE FOUNDATION UPON WHICH THE HUMAN EXECUTIVE SYSTEM IS BUILT.

These are the 4 EF's that emerge in the course of a child's development:

(REMEMBER THAT ADHD IS A CHILDHOOD DISORDER. THEREFORE UNDERSTANDING IT DEMANDS AN UNDERSTANDING OF NORMAL CHILD DEVELOPMENT)

Each of these 4 EF's contributes to a change in what is controlling the child's behavior.

They also develop in a stage wise sequence.

In other words, each one needs the one before it can develop properly.

Delaying the other EF's means that the ADHD child is under the control of EXTERNAL events and the people around them and the temporal now and immediate gratification.

Inhibition is the foundation. By delaying Inhibition, ADHD delays all of the others. That is why ADHD has such a negative impact on education.

Also, being stuck in the "here and now" means the ADHD child doesnt plan ahead, either before acting or in preparing for a school project,etc.

There are also 3 kinds of Inhibition: motor inhibition (can you stop the urge to act?),sensitivity to error (can you shift gears and change what you're doing if you make a mistake?) and interference control (protecting your thinking from being disrupted/distracted by the environment?).

i) NonVerbal Working Memory-sensing to yourself. This would include picking up on social cues and a sense of time awareness.

2) Internalization of Speech-comes next after the development of Working Memory.It has to do with controlling private emotion (as opposed to blurting out).

3)Intrinsic Motivation-covers persistence ,ambition, determination,drive, etc.

ADHD kids are Impersistent. There are the 6 kinds of Attention defined by neuropsychology :1) Alert,2) Arousal,3)Span of Attention (includes Apprehension),4)Focus/Selection, 5)Sustained-presisitence and 6) Divided.

Of those, 5 are Input functions of the Brain.

The one and only Output Function is the one impaired by ADHD; the ability to Persist of Sustain attention.

ADHD kids know what to do. They simply can't do it.

Thats why its a performance disorder and not one of perception.

It's also why scuro was "right" in his answer.

I've been trained as a"scientist/practitoner."

What I posted are evidenced based and they ANSWER the question.

Lastly, please look at some of these references before repsonding.

I went to a lot of trouble and took quite a long time to delineate these data out.

I won't respond to a shoot from the hip answer.

Take care

>>>>>>> "ADHD kids will always display their emotions and it will be the negative ones that cost them dearly in their peer relationships".<<<<<<< ...Part of the Answer to this Question

The qoute is from Russ Barkley (2000)