View Single Post
Old 04-29-08, 09:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Regarding "Unwrapping the Gift of ADD" program

So did anyone else listen tonight? I caught the last 30 minutes or so (showing our house to people who were considering hiring our contractor). I thought that it was very inspiring! Made me feel pretty good, I have to say, just because it seemed to me like I've been doing what each of those folks were....

For those who missed it, tonight had stories about successful ADDers. The guest wrapped up with the following observations about the things that these folks all had in common (if my notes are correct... hmmmmmm....):

They avoided shame;
They accepted themselves/knew themselves;
They were persistent;
They were resilient;
They had a willingness to develop and implement strategies that worked;
They were all members of ADDF.

She also noted that certain things, such as confidence, motivation, and discipline, were less of an issue when an ADDer has a passion for something, and that once the ADDer discovers this fact, he or she has an easier time transferring those characteristics (particularly discipline) to other aspects of their lives for which they did not have such passion. I know that that was definitely true for me with sports. I loved being on track and field and cross country teams. Oddly enough, it wasn't that I loved the running, necessarily. I just loved being on the teams. But the discipline that I developed (and the self-confidence) from being on those teams and from racing and pushing myself, etc. carried over to other areas of my life.

Interestingly, she also emphasized that the one thing that ALL of the 17 people that she'd interviewed had in common was a lifelong history of strenuous exercise. Hmmmm.......

Well, I haven't listened to any of the other webcasts, but I liked this one quite a bit. It made ME feel good anyway, and also helped to reinforce my sense that I really need to reintroduce strenuous exercise into my life again. What did y'all think?

Sandy

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
2emom (04-30-08), ADDAWAY (04-29-08), Imnapl (04-30-08), roly poly (05-01-08), waywardpilgrim (04-29-08)