View Single Post
Old 04-29-08, 10:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

scarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to beholdscarygreengiant is a splendid one to behold
Re: Regarding "Unwrapping the Gift of ADD" program

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
Telling website visitors (in bold, extra large font) that 'Your Child Is Most Likely A Genius') is ethically very questionable.
I agree. Do you ever wonder if that leads to ADHD being overdiagnosed? It seems like some yuppie parents want their kids to be "special". Since ADHD kids are often stereotyped as being "gifted" some parents go doctor shopping for an ADHD diagnosis when Junior isn't getting straight A's. That way they can brag about how their special ADHD kid is smarter than yours and put their kids in a gifted class to boost their own egos. I can't stand narcissistic parents. They're just setting their kids up to become narcissistic adults. If your kid is truly a genius she doesn't need an ADHD diagnosis. If she's truly a genius her gifts will shine through someday if you provide some good old fashioned love and support.

While I loath the lazy/stupid stereotype of ADHDers I think the genius/gifted stereotype is just as bad. We're a diverse group of people with varying levels of ability.

Quote:
It is a scientifically proven fact that people with ADHD are on average not more intelligent, actually a bit less intelligent, than average.
Whoa! Where did you get that from? I don't believe that for a minute. If you've come across any studies I'd be interested in looking at them but I don't believe it.