View Single Post
Old 01-20-12, 12:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,148 Times in 7,190 Posts
BR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond reputeBR549 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Klonopin w/ Risperdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermessymind
The psychiatrist said that back when he was in surgery (med school) the doctors would tell them that the "dumb blonde" patients were the best and healed the fastest because they were trusting and didn't worry about anything. It was the "professors" who had all the problems and complications w/ healing. So he said I needed to take the "dumb blonde" approach to my treatment. don't read anything--just take the meds and don't worry about it. How convenient for him, right?
Oh my....NOT at good sign, IMO. I definitely wouldn't play the 'dumb blonde'. Doctors do have knowledge and have gone to school and through training. However, that doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or that there aren't some who don't know what the heck they are doing. It's really up to you to investigate and learn about the medication you are taking before you take it. You are taking some pretty serious meds. An anti-psychotic, a benzodiazepine and an NDRI.

While I don't always put much stock into online drug interaction lists, I do check them and then check with my pharmacist or doctor (although it sounds like your pharmacists may be your best bet in this case.....) to see what they say.

You can check drug interactions here. This site states a moderate interaction between Risperdal and Klonopin; Klonopin and Wellbutrin and a major interaction between Wellbutrin and Risperdal M-Tab:

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...8-440-203.html
http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...7-440-203.html
http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactio...2019-1305.html

There have been times that I've questioned a drug combo that my doc prescribed only to be told "yes, there is a reported drug interaction, sometimes severe, between these two medications, but I've never had a patient who had a problem before."

Well, just because he's never encountered any problems with the combo he's prescribed doesn't mean that one won't happen. I always feel like these things should be talked about when the medication is prescribed AND I should be told why I am being prescribed a combo that has been reported to potentially have an interaction.

Again, don't know that I'd rely solely on the site above. It's your responsibility to do some more homework and see if in deed an interaction does exist before you take any medication. Don't rely solely on what this doc says. Especially if he's telling you to just take it and don't give it another thought!

"no talk
no, talk
Punctuation is important"
~Abi
The Following User Says Thank You to BR549 For This Useful Post:
nevermessymind (01-20-12)