View Single Post
Old 08-05-17, 06:09 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,219 Times in 8,204 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to handle a controlling coworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
You were trying to convince her to sign up to send personal stuff to a friend, but you're using it for work. Maybe she views it as not professional? Not all folks are into the app scene and such, especially the more old school peeps. Hard to know without asking straight up.
I told her that I would pay for her to send a card to her friend. I can set up a gift account for people to log in and everything. I wanted her to see how people respond to a card with a picture of themselves and the friend on the front of the card.

Send out cards has options for individual people and also businesses. It's a relationship building tool.

Your app and technical points are valid but easy to overcome. When you see how the cards make people feel, they'll be more inclined to learn it. Plus, she's only 40 or something and seems savvy enough.
Quote:
Of course it means something. It means a whole hell of a lot. But it isn't by any means a 100% guarantee that they'll continue to be as happy as they are now, especially if they keep having to run interference in helping to resolve issues and sort out the dynamics between you two.
Well, they definitely shouldn't have to be a referee, and if things declined, then that could put me in an unfavorable position.
Quote:
Could you be feeling resentment for the fact that she's slacking in getting stuff done, and continually getting away with it while she's riding your a**, while you have a great track record of getting stuff done, yet she has a higher position in the company and is making work life as you knew it difficult all of a sudden?
I don't know. I know that I'm not used to her micromanaging. I'm used to things being more laid back, which I enjoyed given how much pressure I already place on myself to perform. Things have changed, and I'm trying to get used to her managerial style. She doesn't explain things very well and doesn't understand that people need to have procedures in place in order to do something a certain way. It's not just with ADDers.

Also, the expectations are not clear here and when you make a mistake, it's seen as a terrible thing or something you should have known. However, we didn't know, because we weren't trained right in the first place.

It's good that she's providing more structure and guidelines for us to work within. That should help us manage issues and hopefully alleviate some existing ones.
Quote:
I think it's always a good idea, whenever possible and feasible, to start with the person you have an issue with than it is to go above their head. It helps establish mutual respect and opens extra lines of communication that otherwise wouldn't be open, when it works well.
I want to, but I'm worried about her reaction to that. Is she going to be mad about me asking her about the items we were promised two Fridays ago?