Thread: IEP or 504 Plan
View Single Post
Old 07-26-17, 05:12 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,279 Times in 14,939 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: IEP or 504 Plan

It depends on how much he struggles and what you are looking to have happen. A 504 is usually monitored by the school guidance counselor who probably has a stack of kids with 504's to monitor. They can be useful for general accommodations for tests and work but they are not as specific as an IEP. Not all schools require a school eval for 504's, sometimes they will go on the advice from the childs' doctor or therapist. In order to set him up with long term help, like accommodations for college entrance exams, modifications to how he tests and even certain standardized tests, an IEP is the best. Here in NJ a parent can request a formal school eval by writing a letter to the child study team or special services dept of school. This is the office that oversees special education here. In NJ if you request a formal diagnosis in writing, they have 60 days to respond/ do the evaluation. You should google PRISE which stands for parental rights in special education. Also google wrigthslaw dot com. I cant link to it here because commercial links are not allowed.
He may need different accommodations then just testing ones. He may need to have untimed testing, more time for homework, assitive devices, etc. My son is 21 and before laptops were everywhere, he was allowed to use one at school. He is 21 now and if you want to read my story, there is a sticky in children's diagnosis and treatment. Medication was a life saver for him and it was the key to his success. He doesnt take meds now and that is his own choice.

I carried a watermelon?