Thread: IEP or 504 Plan
View Single Post
Old 07-27-17, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all
Re: IEP or 504 Plan

I made the same mistake with my son. The school is all about IF/THEN. IF he handed in his home work, THEN there is no problem. IF he passes tests, THEN there is no problem. IF he has A/B's THEN there is not problem. They only look at the surface.

They don't realize you are spending 2 hours a day stalking teachers websites, and he is spending hours a day just trying to do the work it would take others 30 minutes to do.

We did the 504 at first, it got him extra time on tests, and "preferential seating"....but I felt he needed different classes. They have classes that are run by two teachers, one teaches and the other one focuses the kids on the teacher. They also have a study hall in high school where kids have to sit down and do their work for the other classes. Both of these were accommodations that could only be received with an IEP, a 504 didn't allow him into those specialized classes. They are reserved for Special Education.

Until I stopped stalking the websites and staying on top of him 24/7 the school didn't see a problem. You have to let him fail, THEN they see the problem.
Sponsored Links