View Single Post
Old 08-27-12, 08:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,368 Times in 1,290 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Haven't posted in years, maybe this will inspire someone.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy4957 View Post
mADD mike,

I agree with you 100% about the self-employment issue. IF you can get it organized, it is WAY better than working for anyone else, because the "shoulds" are not "shoulds" but "musts." I MUST put my time in, because I MUST put bills out, or the bills don't get paid. Now, I was good about entering my time before, but it was a chore. Now it's much less a chore, because it's for ME, and no one else.

Makes a huge difference in how you feel about things.

I also gained a huge benefit from not having to answer to people who criticized me for my quirky work habits. I jump around from one thing to another sometimes. Other times I'm obsessively on one task until it's done. But I do that at odd hours consistent with how I work. There's nothing wrong with that so long as the client's needs are met. Taking away that external criticism did wonders to help me sleep, which has made me better at what I do.

We got ourselves basically out of debt (save our house) last year sometime. We weren't deep in debt before my former partners ran me out the door, but from 2008 to 2011, things were really lean. I cut every expense that could be cut for a long time...
It's funny how those "musts" make such a big difference. That pressure really seems to push me past my distractions and hesitancy at times. When you're on your own, those "musts" are far more frequent in your daily life because the business will live or die based on your attention to those very things. I kind of feel like things are much more rewarding when you accomplish them in a self-employed role too, and that payoff helps keep the brain stimulated.

I think it is great that you can kind of work when you want as long as the work gets done. With house cleaning, you can't really do that quite so much, but there is some measure of flexibility. With the marketing that I'm doing though, I have much more flexibility and work on projects at my pace.

Congrats on your own debt freedom! You should be very proud!
The Following User Says Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
Sandy4957 (08-27-12)