View Single Post
Old 01-10-19, 08:18 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,314 Times in 7,807 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attention: what is it? What are the subject and object of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
"This is an empirical question that cannot adequately be addressed until more is known about the full set of mechanisms that support human emotional experience and their closeness to analogous mechanisms in other animals. Similarities in functional units such as the thal- amus and amygdala must be weighed against differences such as the much greater capacity of the human pre- frontal cortex. See Panksepp (2005) for further discussion."

http://cogsci.uwaterloo.ca/Articles/...agard.2008.pdf

M
I think we added to, expanded and confirmed Kunga’s statement below. I found his statement to be very profound, valid and very concerning. What concerns me is the current process for treating mental health issues is mostly trial and error. I’ve been down that road before for 10 years and always ending up on the error side of treatment. I guess it’s the best we have currently but as Kunga mentions, it’s problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji
The problem is bigger than that though- psychiatry does not even have an agreed and functional definition of Mind.

Mental, of course, leans "of the mind"- so if we have no definition of "mind" then the definition of "mental illness" becomes problematic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (01-13-19)