View Single Post
Old 12-08-13, 11:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,934 Times in 7,992 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ongoing increases in ADHD diagnoses in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
Something to keep in mind, the study (as you reported) does not address the rate of kids actually diagnosed with ADHD but the rate that parents report that a medical person told them that the child was ADHD.

I very much suspect that this could result in an over reporting of the incidence rate greater than the actual diagnosis rate.

Considering this, the rate from the survey may not be very much different that the 5-8% or so reported in the literature on actual diagnosis by a clinician.

Without question, there has been an increase of ADHD diagnosis in the last decade or so but the question continues, how much is an increase in awareness of the disorder and how much is an increase in the actual rate of ADHD in the population? I am not all that sure that the actual rate of ADHD in the pediatric population has increased all that much but the evidence is still open on this as far as I know.

So in my opinion, discussion of any changes of rates of ADHD based on the CDC survey have to understood for what is are-good information but not definitive and any conclusions based on the CDC statistics have to be looked at in that light.

As an aside: I would like to see a study of a selective sample comparing the actual diagnosis rate and the reported rates of the children in the survey. It may have been done so if anyone has anything on this I would be interested.

Dizfriz
This survey has a number of problems including that right before it asks whether a medical authority told them the child had ADHD the question is asked if a teacher suggested a child may have adhd. For many people a teacher suggested is equivalent of "the teacher diagnosed my child".

You hear that often enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
Amtram (12-08-13), Dizfriz (12-08-13)