View Single Post
Old 03-30-12, 08:25 AM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road
Re: In med school and no I didn't try to get diagnosed with ADHD just to help me stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshoppaa View Post
Welcome! I have a background very similar to yours. A lot of what you described sounds very familiar. I'm glad to hear about your recent success, but from what you've described it doesn't seem very likely that it was ADHD that was causing you problems. You probably do indeed have ADHD, but there are tons of people like you and me that have it, but are able to deal with it better than most people. Doesn't it seem a bit odd that you've had ADHD your whole life and been able to overcome if your whole life, but the new events/obstacles that you encountered get blamed on it?

Hey, if it's working for you so far I wouldn't question it, but someone who overcame their ADHD all the way through college shouldn't just suddenly start having problems dealing with it. Amphetamines such as Ritalin are pretty much the college student's wonder drug, so it's not surprising that things are changing as a result of taking it.
I know this is near a year after this was posted but I was off in med school land and hadn't been browsing the forums much but this warrants a response.

First an update:
Everything is going well, I switched over to adderall because Ritalin had too much of an on/off effect that was making me yo-yo all day long. I still continue to do cognitive behavioral therapy and have changed a bunch of my study habits to things that involve me moving, writing, or doing anything but trying to sit still. I work out at least 6 days a week also to help. It consumes a lot of time and most of my peers do not feel they have the time but for me it isn't a choice. I'm not a fantastic student because of the adderall, I didn't jump up 50 spots. It simply made me able to sit still without feeling the urge to get up and move around every 30 seconds.

I still feel that this was ADD not because of just my situation in higher academia but also because of environmental factors (a huge part of development of ADD) such as a chaotic home environment and different comorbidities that often appear with ADD (diseases such as depression, etc.).

You may be right that the ADD wasn't the precipitating factor that caused me to seek help but it played a huge role and from what I've read it isn't uncommon for those with ADD to develop anxiety/depression. My biggest stress was related to not being able to sit down and study for even a small period of time (med school requires at ton of studying and most of it is sitting in front of a chart memorizing). I try to keep up on the research being done because I would like nothing else than to see a test come out that could definitively say you do or do not have ADD but unless I want to spend an ungodly amount of money for newer techniques it's just not going to happen.

I also wouldn't say I "overcame" ADD. I just never had to study in high school and barely had to study in college. The speed and depth of the content was enough that I could usually grasp all of the material I needed to for a test in a short period of time.

School isn't the only place where I've seen improvement either. I don't constantly lose my keys, organizing has become much easier, I don't jump around from one task to another without finishing near as much as I had before.

I'm not at all trying to be hostile and I'm glad someone brought it up as I'd like to share as much as I can to dispel the "You've done well in school, you can't have ADD". On the other end I don't want people thinking that this is the first route I took. I had meetings for months to try and use non-medical tactics, changed my diet, exercised on a regular basis, even tried some psychotherapy.

Again, sorry for the late response. I'll try to be a little more accessible from this point on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ILoveChaos For This Useful Post:
ana futura (04-06-12), antheia (04-06-12), namazu (03-30-12), pechemignonne (04-06-12)