View Single Post
Old 08-03-17, 06:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,818 Times in 12,864 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying attention in class

I had this problem hugely and what I've learnt after 20 years of education (or attending some sort of classes seminars or or lectures) is that the only way I can pay attention is ny being extremely interested and getting involved as much as possible.

Some things tgat may help:

1. Prepare for the class. It's easier to pay attention if you already roughly know what's going on. Also if your mind wanders it will become easier to follow when you can pay attention again. You need a rough framework to attach new information to. This will also help with remembering what you learnt. You can do this by reading any material the prof posted before the lecture or just googling it or reading on textbooks etc. I found online videos really helped me (as I can't focus on remembering reading books)

2. find an aspect you can get passionate about in the subject. Think about ppssible applications or maybe even try to build something based on what you've learnt or will learn. You could even ask the prof for help. They'll be impressed by your interest for the subject.

3. Ask questions. It's the only way I can continue paying attention. Don't worry about what others think. Most profs will appreciate it if you participate.

4. Definitely do attend the classes. Even if you can't pay attention. If you attend the lectures your profs will be much more likely to help you if you've got questions or with anything else. If you don't attend they'll just think that you aren't bothered.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (08-04-17), zomakus (08-03-17)