View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 06:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lazy vs Unmotivated vs Initiation-Challenged?

Yeah, the problem with "lazy" is the implied moral judgment.

I'd normally be inclined to say that laziness is a symptom of numerous health conditions, but due to the implications of that word, I don't do so without further explanation.

The difference between normal laziness and pathological laziness is that laziness normally entails some expectation of benefit and you can stop being lazy whenever it suits your needs.

Invitation problems are often referred to as "lack of motivation," by both adhd folks and doctors/researchers, which drives me nuts. I think those two things should be distinguished. I wrote a big article on initiation impairment (see signature link), but the short version is that when you have zero motivation to do something, you can just not do it and it won't be a problem. Initiation impairment is when you decide you should do something, but for some irrational reason, you cannot make yourself do so (or it's stupidly hard to make yourself do it).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cyllya For This Useful Post:
dvdnvwls (03-20-17), LowBudget (03-20-17), Traveler5 (03-23-17)