View Single Post
Old 06-03-12, 09:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

seamstress will become famous soon enough
Concerta and Emotional Numbness

So, I've started up on the concerta (the real brand not the generic one), and I felt myself becoming more and more emotionally numb. It's a very very scary feeling. When I am off the medication, I am usually a highly intuitive and highly emotional person and I usually tend to overreact to things. I tend to pick up on the emotions in my atmosphere, like I can't filter out other people's emotions. If they're sad, I'm sad, if they're cranky, I'm angry. Which is probably why I'm so moody.

Also...I tend to cry more easily, when I feel bad for people who are put in unfortunate situations. I could also get overly sad or frustrated when things don't go my way. I am also usually very empathetic, as if I am feeling other people's emotions more deeply than they themselves are feeling them! I see that as a good thing in certain contexts. Bad, because people can manipulate you when they know you're highly emotion...

But, when I'm on the medication..I become very apathetic...I don't feel anger, fear, happiness, or sadness or any other emotion to the same extent. I thing that's a very very bad thing. I don't feel bad for people as much as I used to even though I should. On the medication, its like I'm completely disconnected, and I feel like I don't want to socialize, sometimes. I don't get that "reward" feeling from socializing. I also tend to find things that I used to find scary or anxiety-provoking completely more normal... Maybe I am overanalyzing things?

I don't want this medication to turn me into some numb psychopath-like state. I want to be able to "feel" things again! So, I'm going off the medication for a while. Maybe I need to lower the dose? Has anyone ever experienced this before? Feeling very odd in some kind of over-medicated state? Could this medication somehow shut the emotional part of my brain "off"?
The Following User Says Thank You to seamstress For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-04-12)