View Single Post
Old 02-13-13, 10:10 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,439 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: this DR Barkley quote states that Neurological tests have no value in the diagnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by noradd View Post
Wow, a lot of replies in this thread. Seems like Barkley is a hot topic lol.

What I found a bit confusing about his speech is that I found myself in some of the stuff he said but not in the other things. Now what does this mean? I have been driving without meds for 10 years without accident does this mean I cant have ADD?
What he is saying is that statistically ADHDers , among other driving issues, have a much greater incident rate of accidents and those accidents tend to be more serious than non ADHDers. The research confirms this well and there is really no question. Keep in mind though, the statistics are mostly for untreated ADHD. ADHD is treatable.

We are talking about statistics involving groups of people, not single individuals. Many who are ADHD have safe driving records but on the whole, those who are ADHD have worse driving records than those who are not.

Quote:
Or my parents werent totally worried about me when I was a child and I also did my homework does this mean I cant have ADD?
No, again we are talking about statistics about groups. (A note, all statistics are about groups, not single individuals).

While difficulty staying focused enough to successfully do homework is very common among ADHD children, some do not have this. ADHD is a complex disorder with a number of genes involved and several parts of the brain. Each is a unique mix of those. It is the pattern of symptoms that define the disorder, not individual ones.

Quote:
What I dont like are these generalizations like all children who have ADD dont do homework and are a nightmare for their parents and all other children dont like them cause they have such a bad temper. Does this really have to be so? What if his ADHD definition is too narrow and excludes people who also have it?
The statistics involved address characteristics that most who are diagnosed as ADHD have but not all. If the majority of ADHD children have difficulty with staying focused on homework then it is relevant but some will not have this problem. Statements of "all" ADHD children are not made by professionals. Part of the training is learning to interpret statistics and "all" does not come into play.

What Barkley usually does in his lectures is to state that those who are ADHD exhibit these characteristics. This is to keep things simplified for educational purposes otherwise a lecture or workshop would be impossible and will bog down on fine details and exceptions.

If you want to get accurate information of what he is saying and what the research shows in fine detail, you would have to read his academic works. There he goes into these details.

When a doctor is discussing a medication, all of the possible side effects are usually not discussed, this is what data sheets given out with the prescription is for.

When he gives a lecture, a list of articles and books is given for those who want to go into greater depth.

Very interesting questions and good ones to bring up.

Dizfriz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
Amtram (02-13-13), mctavish23 (02-15-13), namazu (02-14-13)