View Single Post
Old 11-04-17, 11:00 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,772 Times in 11,681 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I actually consider what it would be like to have a career?

Okay, at the risk of making myself even more unpopular than I already am, I have to say this.

Please do not lay any more financial obligations on your husband and yourself. Your children can pay for their own college. If their grades reflect it, they can scholarship their entire way through college. I did it. If not, they can work for it. Student loans are far too easy to procure and you will have to co-sign them. Do not co-sign their student loans if they can not scholarship. Period.

My parents wanted nothing to do with it and at the time I was indignantly horrified over it. Now I understand, and I understand why.

There is no law saying parents must pay for their children's college. It would be financial ruin unless you two have plenty of money to spread around. It would amount to suffocating debt for you and your children.

Going back to school for you to teach would eliminate your SS benefits and even make you have to pay them all back retroactively unless NJ has different laws and SS is Federal as far as I know. On the bright side, if you did get on the faculty your children could go there tuition free.

I hate to be the drag, but I care.

Encourage your children to begin NOW procuring as many scholarships as possible. Every admissions office has The Big Book of Scholarships and you write and write and write and send copies of everything. It was practically a full time job for me to continue applying for the scholarships every year or go after more new ones. I worked hard to be a 4.0 Honors student. Very, very hard. That is how I won them all.

There are scholarships for underprivileged, the blind, learning disabled, indigenous tribes of all types, you name it, the amount of scholarship monies available in that Big Book are never ending. It's overwhelming just trying to read them all.

If you really want it, you will find a way. And so can your children.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-04-17), finallyfound10 (11-29-17), Stevuke79 (11-08-17)
Sponsored Links