View Single Post
Old 11-04-17, 11:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,914 Times in 15,257 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I actually consider what it would be like to have a career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
Okay, at the risk of making myself even more unpopular than I already am, I have to say this.
You are not unpopular!

Please do not lay any more financial obligations on your husband and yourself. Your children can pay for their own college. If their grades reflect it, they can scholarship their entire way through college. I did it. If not, they can work for it. Student loans are far too easy to procure and you will have to co-sign them. Do not co-sign their student loans if they can not scholarship. Period.[/quote]
I did not explain myself well enough. We havent been paying for my son's college nor will we be for him or the other kids. My inlaws invested $ for each of the kids for college when they were born as a gift. Each college savings account has 10,000$ now. So this cover's my son through his associates and he is transfering to a state school as part of a program with the community college. We did not qualify for financial aid for community college but he just finished his FASFA and so far has a pell grant and we are waiting to see what kinds of grants NJ has. My husband was fully vested as of July at princeton universty and their education benefit covers 16000$ per year per child at any school not just princeton. So things are covered mostly and we would never co-sign a loan. My mom didnt with my loans.

Quote:
There is no law saying parents must pay for their children's college. It would be financial ruin unless you two have plenty of money to spread around. It would amount to suffocating debt for you and your children.
I am sorry that I didnt clarify better the kids always knew they would help with their education. It means more to you when you pay for it yourself and if you F up its not my money you are wasting, its yours.

Quote:
Going back to school for you to teach would eliminate your SS benefits and even make you have to pay them all back retroactively unless NJ has different laws and SS is Federal as far as I know. On the bright side, if you did get on the faculty your children could go there tuition free.
I have been going through a review and here there are allowances if you want to go back to work.They let you collect and work for at least 6 months and ween you off by reducing the amount over time. You can reserve the right to go back on. They want you to work towards becoming able to work. Im pretty sure it also applies to going back to school but I can call my liason.

You make good points though.
And i know you care.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
aeon (11-04-17), Little Missy (11-04-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-04-17), stef (11-04-17)