View Single Post
Old 11-08-17, 08:55 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,505 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I actually consider what it would be like to have a career?

I've seen a few people do this kind of thing..... and as a 50+ individual on a Post Graduate Diploma course, I've tended to hang around with my fellow oldies in various classes.

I've sensed there's significant anxiety in people returning to education. Most have a self-esteem issue around not achieving things earlier in life. It's this self-esteem thing that causes the most trouble... the stress really affects one's ability to learn.

Part of this seems to be the continual judging that goes on through essays, tests, assessments etc. I've noticed that many people returning to education later in life have a problem with the "Power over" dynamic inherent in a teacher/pupil relationship.

Younger people seem to accept the "doing it by numbers" approach in which learning facts and ticking the learning outcome boxes is more important than preparation for doing the job.

Tutors can find it challenging when older people with considerable "life experience" show up in class as pupils.... as it affects the group power dynamic. Good tutors welcome it, mediocre/poor ones can react badly.

I'm glad I went back to learning. It's been tough, partly because of my ADHD and partly because I find it increasingly difficult to suffer being taught by a fool. The older I get the more fools there seem to be in positions of authority.

If it's something you really want to do, then do it...... but check out the employment situation afterward....... in Scotland it's MUCH harder to get a job as a novice in a new field if one is older......... with the exception of teaching.... where there's a recruitment crisis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-08-17), PoppnNSailinMan (11-08-17)