Thread: Women and Ad/hd
View Single Post
Old 01-20-09, 12:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,643 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Women and Ad/hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGarf72 View Post
I was just diagnosed last week and bought both this book and 'Women with Attention Deficit Disorder' by Sari Solden, MS, LMFT. That is a really good one also.

Now if only I could sit down and read more than a couple of sentences...
JGarf, if finding time to read is challenging you or you are not comfortable with sitting down and reading, either buy the books that you are interested in in audio book format or check into your local library. Many of them have a large stock of titles that cover a wide variety of topics. Don't add to your stress burden by facing yourself with one more thing that you beat yourself up for not getting around to!

I am 46 and hyper/impulsive. I believe that I began peri menopause in my mid thirties. What I know to be a truth is that ADHD is very directly impacted by the reduction of estrogen in the system. It has been proven that the reduction of estrogen has an impact on how stimulant meds work. What is true for me is that none of the coping strategies that I have used in the past work for me any more. The roller coaster highs are not as high, the lows are significantly lower. Because I am a breast cancer survivor, HRT is not a good option. B Complex does seem to help but feeling comfortable in my own skin stopped being an option long ago. The author of the article above is right- there just isn't enough information about how women with ADHD go through menopause. Heck, when I was diagnosed, there was no such thing as an ADULT with ADHD, much less an older woman.

I think that the best resource we have is each other. I find that I get my best information through peer resources.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (01-20-09), jujostudio (09-26-11)