View Single Post
Old 09-15-17, 03:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,050 Times in 14,230 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Started 5th Grade with No Meds-got email from teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berksicle View Post
My son is in 5th grade and has been in school for almost 1 month now. We are med free in the summer and he does fine because it's less structured, he gets alot of outside time, etc.

I decided a new year, new teacher, let's see how he does without meds. I was waiting for the teacher to reach out and I got the email below.

I was so hopeful my son could get thru the school year without meds. But he's still having issues with impulsivity, listening, etc.
Why start your son out in 5th grade with one hand tied behind his back? Thats what you are doing by not continuing the med regimen. Especially if meds worked well and you saw success, why the need to be"med free''? I guess I cant relate to that. Waiting for a teacher to have issues with him enough that she reaches out to you is really unfair to your son. Some people believe in breaks over the summer. I couldnt do that with my son. Do you take any medication? If you had high BP would you take a break in the summer because maybe the stress of the average day was less?

Quote:
I think I have to get him back on his meds, what do you think?
Absolutely.

Quote:
I noticed as I was looking through his file and in talking with Mrs. Teacher that hes currently medicated for ADHD. The one thing that struck me as I looked through his file was that sometimes the medication is not as effective if hes going through a growth spurt. Im wondering if were seeing that at this time. In talking with Mrs. Teacher, she expressed that she did not see any of these behaviors last year. Are you seeing anything like this at home? Has there been any change to his current medication?

I welcome your input/insight into making it a great year for N. Please let me know any thoughts you might have.
So you have what you were curious about only the teacher thinks he is still medicated but that his meds arent working that well. You need to let her know that you stopped the meds and that its not related to a growth spurt or anything like that.

I carried a watermelon?