View Single Post
Old 10-10-17, 04:19 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 30,250 Times in 13,800 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Started 5th Grade with No Meds-got email from teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arei View Post
Also keep in mind, brains keep developing until around 24-26 years of age. Overtime he may have different reactions to medications he didn't have before, stuff suddenly quits working, etc. He may have an entirely different reaction to medication once he's completely grown than he did as a kid.

Just know he's going to be constantly developing and changing, so keeping on top of his medication is a must. And it's possible he may "grow out" of some of his habits, but most likely he'll still need help with focusing/attentiveness. Its really hard to say if someone is going to be the same for life when this stuff happens as a small child. Bipolar has affected me for a long time, but the ADD has evolved over time and affects me much more as an adult then it did as a kid.
My son was dx'd when he was 3.5 and began meds at age 4. He decided when he was 16 that he didnt want to take stimulants anymore and I coudnt nor wouldnt force a teenager to take meds he didnt want to. I still have to use the talking skills with him that I had to use when he was little.

ex: when he was 4: "Jacob look at my eyes. Go get your shoes and put them on"
Now at age 21: "jacob, look at me, are you listening? We have to be out the door at noon so please go get your shoes on"

I carried a watermelon?