Thread: Horrible memory
View Single Post
Old 01-04-18, 06:16 PM
Jr Member

Padawan is on a distinguished road
Re: Horrible memory

I don't have enough knowledge to know about whether you can improve your memory, but I do feel your frustration. My memory has always been subpar, but now after entering menopause, it is worse than ever.

Something I heard today on an otherwise so-so webinar was "Donít depend on your memory for anything. Thatís a waste of time." (How did I remember that? I stopped the webinar and typed it in a Word doc ). This dovetails with the advice to outsource our working (and other) memory as much as possible. I'm realizing that I've thought I could remember better by sheer strength of will, and that I could think my way to figuring out my life. The truth is that I may never have those fascinating details stored inside me, and maybe I need to learn to accept that.

Somewhere I heard that "Planning is not thinking. Planning is writing." For people with ADHD, memory might work in a similar way.

Just a few ideas I've thought of for myself that might resonate:
  • Use my phone to take photos (when permitted) of museum exhibits and information placards.
  • In fact, use my phone to record anything I want to be able to refer to later. A few dollars a month for extra cloud storage is worth the outsourced memories.
  • Keep a daily journal (something I've tried to do for years but never succeeded--I'm not sure how I'll succeed this time, but I want to try), and instead of writing in it at the end of the day, after I've forgotten important details, jot it in as I can throughout the day--anything that I wish I could remember.
  • Or, if that doesn't work, maybe send the same info as texts to a friend or family member, then back up and store the texts periodically?
  • For topics like Mount St. Helen's or anything else that's interesting, keep those books close by and re-read them often just to enjoy them again. Or read other books on the same topic, in case a variety of perspectives and approaches eventually might come together. Or see if image-heavy books or audio books help with memory of details.
  • Read with the goal of enjoying the information in the moment rather than trying to commit it to long-term memory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Padawan For This Useful Post:
stef (01-15-18), WhiteOwl (01-05-18)