Thread: Working Memory
View Single Post
Old 10-01-17, 11:42 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Working Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunga Dorji View Post
If there is something causing a stress response (and it need not be an interpersonal problem) the stress response could be causing the difficulty listening (it is hard to listen when your body is telling you to run away.
That would cause a deficit of working memory.
I find it interesting however that stimulants, let's say caffeine in this instance, are going to help with things like working memory and more efficient sensory processing, attending to the task at hand, and so on. I'm talking about the cortisol-release, the "fight or flight" mechanism, of these activating drugs.

So artificially producing the stress response, the same thing that you imply should be avoided, is the very same thing that helps.

It does for me, anyway, I find caffeine to be invaluable (and highly addictive, but it is what it is).

A bit tangential, but I thought I'd write this down anyway.