View Single Post
Old 11-09-04, 07:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
Both of my kids were born in Germany. One is ADHD/ODD and the other ADD. The ADHD has a real talent for languages. Speaks and reads with ease both German and English. Is now learning French. The ADD can also read and speak both languages, but has more trouble with English. He also has trouble with the "grammar" of the languages...mixes them up, but nothing earth shattering.

We always spoke a complete hodge-podge at home. German and english all mixed up (both sentences and within sentences) and neither has any trouble confusing which language is which. Their vocabulary is smaller in English simply because we tend to always speak German.

I don't think the "talent" or lack of is related to AD(H)D specifically. Some people have it, others don't. I studied French at University and didn't have a clue. It also took me quite a while to get going with German (even though I live here), but am considered "exceptional" in my fluency now. I am also ADHD.

My husband, on the other hand, learned German in a matter of weeks. He is a computer programmer and I think his brain just works well with languages. When we vacation he picks up the language in a matter of days. He's not ADD.

Hope this helps.

Kim