View Single Post
Old 07-28-16, 02:14 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,926 Times in 699 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Emotional regulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
Great observations!

I can only think of one possible correction, that might help even more.

Emotional operating systems originate from the bottom up.

Consider "emotional regulation" and "emotional-self-regulation" are interconnected but not the same thing.

"Emotional regulation" refers to the emotional-affective consciousness "inside" originating from the bottom up.

Things you felt all your life, but never thought about til recently.

I do not think we lack "emotional regulation", but our bottom up "emotional regulation" "inside" is overactive and/or underactive (partly due to a lack of top down emotional-self-regulation)

"Emotional regulation" rules in early life, until emotional-self-regulation matures.

Emotional-self-regulation (awareness) refers to cognitive consciousness "inside", is a top down process that regulates, "emotional regulation".

I am sure I am making some mistakes and missing somethings but am really interested in discussing and learning more.

m
Thanks for your comment mildadhd! You are right, emotional self-regulation is a better way to describe it. Basically, I want to not let my emotions to control my actions. However, I also don't want to ignore my emotions completely. I want to be aware of my emotions, feel them, but then to be as free as possible to choose how I act. This can lead to different outcomes, depending on the situation.

For example, when I am shopping for clothes (not one of my favorite activities ), when I feel that I am doubting, even if I don't know exactly why, I tend to listen to that and not buy the item, even though at the same moment I may feel a bit obliged to buy it, because of the shop personel. Because of this it is very rare that I buy something that I don't like. So, I take some emotions more serious then other emotions in order to make a good decision. However, it can still improve; even though I am able to make the right decisions, I cannot always do so confidently, because it feels a bit awkward to leave a shop without buying anything after trying a lot of things.

So, basically what I want to learn is to be (1) aware of my emotions quicker (in real-time, instead of realizing afterwards that I felt this way), (2) still be able to think clear no matter how I feel and make good decisions and (3) to act and communicate confidently (no matter how I feel).
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (07-28-16)
Sponsored Links