View Single Post
Old 07-17-17, 04:35 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Let's talk about Hyperfocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRoTa3 View Post
I can totally relate. If it's something that I instantly click with I can get lost a book very easily.

Something I've never been able to do though is just read one book at a time. At any given moment I have at least 4 books stacked up on my desk or by my bed. Right now I've actually got 6 going. Most of the plot details and facts will come back to me a few paragraphs in, but occasionally I just forget about a book completely and end up taking it off my shelf months later with a bookmark still in it.
I'm exactly the same. I am usually reading 6 or 7 or even more books at the same time. I frequently go to a café like Starbucks to read and almost always take 4 or 5 books with me in my book bag. I've been doing that for years, ever since I was in college.

A lot of the books I'm reading never get completely finished, at least not the first time, especially if I hit a boring part. Sometimes I'll read something in the news or in another book that will remind of a book I had been reading previously and I'll get it off the shelf and return to it months or even a year or years later. Almost all of the books on my book shelves (and I have a couple thousand) have book marks in the middle of them showing where I left off. Lately, I've gotten to where I'll put the half dozen or more books I'm currently reading on the floor in my office with the covers showing so that I can see them. If I put one of them back on the shelf, I'm more likely to forget about it and move on to another newer and what has become a more interesting book for me. Only if a book is especially interesting to me can I become hyperfocused on it and finish it the first time through.

And I'm probably one of Amazon's favorite customers, always looking for a new book.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)