View Single Post
Old 02-21-19, 06:33 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,077 Times in 10,636 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the line between when there is enough research and data to support something enough to call it conclusive from a scientific standpoint? Just wondering how difficult that is to achieve in an underfunded area like this.
It's pretty difficult!

1) "Where is the line?" is a question whose answer tends to be subjective/arbitrary. Sensible people can disagree on how much evidence is enough. Sometimes, one or two really well-designed, large studies (if they can be funded/carried out!) can be overwhelmingly persuasive. (But as long as there remains considerable disagreement among people who know the subject well, and there continue to be conflicting/mixed/nuance-adding results from recent studies, to me, that points to "inconclusive"!)

2) In this particular case, so much depends on how one defines "creativity", as people have been discussing in different ways in this thread. It may be that people with ADHD are more likely to have high levels of certain traits associated with creativity (e.g. disinhibition, novelty-seeking) but not others (e.g. ability to generate multiple solutions to a problem quickly). It may be that people with ADHD are very good at generating ideas, but lack the creative output to show for it because of poor follow-through. Etc. (Note: These are just possible examples; don't take them as truth.)

3) A lot also depends on how people conceptualize ADHD, which probably arises through multiple genetic and environmental pathways. We know that different symptoms are more troublesome for some people with ADHD than others, and that they don't all manifest the same way for everyone with the diagnosis. It may be that some flavors of ADHD are associated with greater creativity (for a given definition of creativity) and others are not.

A wise scientist once told me, after I'd made some comment about how there wasn't consensus on a particular issue, that "Science doesn't operate by consensus." It's true -- in some fields, there are debates that rage (politely or, in some cases, not-so-politely) for generations. As new evidence comes out, it's up to researchers (and others) to evaluate their models to see if the models fit the data, and to change them if they don't. (Of course, that also assumes that the new evidence was generated in a rigorous manner, and that the interpretation of the evidence is unambiguous, and one or both of those conditions may not be met.)

Last edited by namazu; 02-21-19 at 06:45 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-24-19), daveddd (02-25-19), Lunacie (02-21-19)