View Single Post
Old 05-09-11, 08:27 PM
puddlediver's Avatar
puddlediver puddlediver is offline
ADDvanced Member

Join Date: May 2011
Location: reading, pa
Posts: 139
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 66
Thanked 58 Times in 44 Posts
puddlediver will become famous soon enough
Re: living off the government ADHD

Originally Posted by Retromancer View Post
The short, non-judgemental answer is yes ... with difficulty.

If you have a proven disability due to a psychiatric disorder then you are eligible for either Supplemental Security Income (SSI) if you do not have a work history or Social Security Disability (SSDI) if you do. (I recently qualified for SSDI).

That's the good news.

The bad news is that the application process takes time. You can expect your first claim to be denied. You will have to then ask for a reconsideration and quite possible will have to file an appeal before your claim is accepted. This takes time, waits up to 2 years are not unusual. Needless to say you will have to live on something in the meantime.

There are states -- hopefully you live in one -- that will pay you a small cash stipend and provide medical care while you are waiting for your Social Security claim to be resolved.

At the minimum you are eligible for food stamps. Go to your local public assistance office and apply for them. While you are there also apply for any services that your state provides. You have to start somewhere.
very true. they will also give you health insurance. in PA you can only get cash benefits if you show proof you are looking for a job.
yikes ... and i thought i had problems!
Reply With Quote