View Single Post
Old 04-06-12, 04:00 PM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road
Re: In med school and no I didn't try to get diagnosed with ADHD just to help me stud

Diet and exercise have been proven to improve academic performance. There are tons and tons of factors that play into this. Eating healthy usually means eating foods that have beneficial components such as Omega-3's and anti-oxidants. This can help the brain maintain better function.

Exercise (especially running) is also proven to help focus and improve learning. Without getting into too much detail, it basically helps to improve the connections between brain cells and promotes growth of new neurons.

http://www.hhmi.org/news/sejnowski.html

That's just one of the first articles that comes up on Google, but the evidence is also in the primary literature. If you've never sat down to study after a run or any kind of cardio then you are missing out. I get about an hour of clearer thinking even without meds.

Without thinking about all that molecular science stuff, it still makes sense. A healthy diet would keep you at a healthy weight and you'll avoid foods that make you feel lethargic (Good ole' Micky D's). If you exercise and keep good cardiovascular health then that means that you cardiovascular system will work efficiently and that includes in the brain. If you're skeptical, just think of the runner's high which is a product of endorphins released from the brain. That is easy to feel but there are lots of other things going on.

Exercise and diet have also been shown to help improve sleep. Better sleep = better focus.

I could go on, and on, and on, and on. I honestly don't know how people with ADHD don't exercise but I also sit in a room and study for at least 10 hours a day so I'm not moving around a lot. Hopefully this answers your question.
The Following User Says Thank You to ILoveChaos For This Useful Post:
Marla911 (04-07-12)