View Single Post
Old 04-07-12, 01:02 PM

ILoveChaos is on a distinguished road
Re: In med school and no I didn't try to get diagnosed with ADHD just to help me stud

I think the social aspect is shadowed by the focus aspect. I had quite a few conversations about how my social interactions were which is one of the main things that my psychiatrist used to diagnose me. He would ask questions like, "What are your social interactions like? Do you stay in one group of people or to you move around from group to group? How long do your conversations last?". I didn't know that was a factor but I constantly move from group to group and will just start wandering around the bar when I get bored. I was with two of my girl friends one time and they were sitting on either side of me. They were talking about something and I pulled my laptop out and started playing solitaire and they were really amused/offended that I had to do that.

The awareness that not everyone picks up everything that's going on in a room has been relieving. I wouldn't do much in public because I thought everyone could see, even if they were doing something else because that was how I was. Again, I try to explain this to my friends and it's just really hard to do. I can still be very observant but now it's more because I choose to and not because I have to.