View Single Post
Old 03-25-09, 06:10 AM
Contributor

muldoon has a spectacular aura aboutmuldoon has a spectacular aura about
Re: SSRI's = INDIFFERENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosau-RSX View Post
So i was prescribed Lexapro to treat syptoms of axiety/depression/OCD. Prior to taking the medication, i would almost always be in a constant state of anxiety and worry. I also suffered from obsessive tendencies where i wouldnt be able to stop myself from doing something or breaking from routine... it would bother and upset me if i didnt have things the way i wanted it.

However now that i am on the medication... these feelings have slightly subsided.... but now, as a side effect, i feel so numb and uncaring all the time. I have a feeling of indifference ... kinda like that "eh whatever happens happens" mentality... as if i dont care about consequences anymore. I find it even harder to get myself to wake up in the morning, or attend to tasks because its as if i dont care about anything anymore. Ive also noticed a lack of interest and passion in my life... feels so dull and drab, no highs or lows.

is this usual side effects?

can anyone relate to this being on Lexapro or other SSRIs?
I was put on Paxil for OCD/Panic Disorder in 1999. I was on it until spring of 2008 w/ an ending dosage of 40mg. I literally slept for half that time. Impossible to get out of bed. Apathetic to the core. No energy & I looked like I was sleepwalking all the time...trying to absorb life through a dirty glass wall. When several close family members passed away, I am ashamed to say I wasn't even bothered by it. It was complete emotional numbness. I existed on one line in life, and it basically eliminated any feelings worth feeling. I ate enough for 3 men every day and still could not satisfy my caloric cravings. I went from 165lbs to 242lbs. Some weekends I'd sleep for 20 hours straight. BUT...no anxiety or panic.

I felt just like you do, if you amplify it by 100, for nearly a decade. For me, those side effects NEVER subsided, but the Paxil just made me not even pay attention to or care how I felt.

Personally, I will never recommend an SSRI to anyone. Serotonin didn't make me "undepressed", but it took away my panic attacks. It pretty much absorbed the rest of my life as well however.

I don't know what other meds you are on, but if you think the Lexapro is helping your anxiety/OCD, then maybe ask your dr. about adding a mild dose of stimulant to combat the side effects of the SSRI. I ended up quitting Paxil and am now on a stimulant/benzodiazepine combination and the difference is like night and day compared to an SSRI. I have the panic and OCD under control and I actually have energy, feelings, and focus. It's an alternative combination to consider...