Thread: Driving Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 10-12-11, 11:46 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,129 Times in 678 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold
Re: Driving Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhow View Post
I have adult ADD (diagnosed and treated with ritilin for 16 years). I started having difficulty in some driving situations. I've always been a careful, safe driver. However I started getting anxious when I had to merge into traffic, especially highway driving and changing lanes. I moved to the UK 5 years ago and have been unable to adjust to driving here. The roads are a lot narrower than in the US (other cars too close) and I get a lot of anxiety when negotiating large roundabouts (the more traffic the worse). I took lessons with two instructors for over a year, but got so anxious on roundabouts that I'd lose focus and several times started to drift out of my lane with the instructor needing to grab the wheel and keep us from hitting someone! I had so much anxiety I never could take the driving test. Result is my husband has to drive us everywhere (although I do all the driving when we're in the States). I feel very guilty about this but can't overcome it. I never connected it with ADD but now realise it's pretty common. I also have problems with reading (registering the information on) traffic signs. And of course they're all a bit different in the UK to what I'm accustomed to.
Could the anxiety becoming from slow processing speed
Sponsored Links