View Single Post
Old 06-14-12, 04:04 PM
Contributor

demuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to alldemuregeek is a name known to all
Re: How did you react to being told you had ADHD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune View Post
No one told me. I had to find out on my own.
This. I feel like my diagnosis (the one I don't have yet ) is something I've worked for, not something I've been given. I've been the one who's suffered the symptoms and consequences, I'm the one who's done the research as to what they might mean, I'm the one putting together accounts of symptoms and effects and anecdotes from my life to convince doctors that I need to be assessed, I'm the one doing the legwork to find experts for my GP to refer me to, I'm the one trying to convince my family that this is a real thing and that pursuing a diagnosis is something worth paying good money for.

I'm respectful of the MDs and psychologists and researchers and everybody else that has contributed or will contribute to my knowledge, awareness, and potential future diagnosis...but it is a thing that is mine. I'm working for it, and I'm going to be the one that'll end up owning it.

If I could order lab tests, make referrals, and write prescriptions myself, the whole process would probably be over and done with by now.
MX2012 (06-16-12)