View Single Post
Old 09-16-04, 08:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

Debs is on a distinguished road
New and finally getting around to my story

But I am sure that you all understand the procrasination stuff.

I am 37 and was diagnosed in June. I have a daughter who is 12 and found myself in one of her parent/teacher confrences last spring thinking to myself that I was hearing the same things my parents heard all my life. Messiest desk, lack of organization, difficulties with math...ect. Even at that point it hadn't occured to me that she or I had ADD. I started a scuba diving couse shortly after and was a little nervous the first night, filling out the forms was a nightmare I kept having to scribble things out and the instructor finally gave me another form, saying something in front of everyone. I was trying really hard to concentrate and just couldn't do it. Reading the same page over and over. I then saw a commercial on tv about adult ADD and started researching it online.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT!!

I immediatly called my physician and made an appointment, we talked and I left with Adderall. It helps but I still have a long way to go. It is a relief to know that I don't have alzheimers or am just plain crazy but I also sometimes get sad that things are so much more difficult for me than for others. But there are a ton of positives too. I am lucky, I have managed to deal with it and have a really good successful life. I have never lost a job, friend, relationship because of it. I am on my second marriage but that was because of spouses alchohol, not ADD. I have 3 kids 8,10, and 12. Only 12 year old has add. I am happy that I found this forum, and look forward to reading through old posts and adding my input.