View Single Post
Old 04-14-18, 03:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you feel dismissed because you can seem so normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
Last year, I had an appointment with a psychiatric nurse practitioner to find out about the possibility of seeing a therapist and after he found out that I had been to college, he told me that I was "too functional" to need to see a therapist.

This was, in my opinion, a ridiculous thing for him to say. Although they might not all want to admit it, almost everyone has some issues that crop up in their life from time to time and could benefit from seeing a therapist. I don't think anyone is "too functional" in this regard.

Then more recently, another professional referred to me as "high-functioning." The first thing that crossed my mind was, if I'm so "high-functioning," why have I struggled so much of my life to do a lot of fairly basic things? And if I'm "high-functioning," would a person who doesn't have ADHD or some other disorder be considered "super-high-functioning"?

I looked this term up and discovered that this is part of the lingo that mental health professionals use, for example, to describe people with Autism, dividing them up into low-, medium- or high-functioning individuals. And even people with depression or Bipolar Disorder or other mental conditions can sometimes be divided into low-functioning and high-functioning individuals.

Compared to someone who has severe ADHD or severe Autism, I agree that I'm probably more functional overall. And on an intellectual level, I might consider myself "high functioning". But when it comes to things like keeping my house clean, making sure I have clean clothes to wear, preparing food for myself and making sure I eat regularly, staying socially connected, making sure my bills get paid, being able to finish things in a timely manner or finish them at all, etc., I'm more towards the "low functioning" end. Most of my life, I've lived with someone, either my parents or a partner, who did a lot of those things for me or reminded me to do them.

So, instead of "high-functioning," maybe "medium-functioning" would have been a more accurate description for me.
sadly mental health is going more and more towards the DSM type of outward difficulties in life and ignoring internal feelings which are far more important

so often i hear after a suicide

but he had a good job, was married and got good grades in school

the mental health system is severely flawed as your therapist made apparent
PoppnNSailinMan (04-14-18), psychopathetic (04-14-18)