Thread: Memory Issues
View Single Post
Old 10-16-19, 10:54 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Memory Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
From a brain perspective, if things don’t make it past short term memory or the get jumbled up there, it’s hard for them to get encoded into long term memory in a meaningful way.

Sorry for rambling. I guess my point is that memory is weird, ADHD is weird, ergo ADHD memory is especially weird.
I appreciate your response and didn't feel that you were rambling.

I'm wondering if, in my case, the events that I don't remember just didn't get encoded into long term memory, perhaps because they didn't interest me or because there wasn't much emotion attached to them. The only thing that I remember about a trip I took with my parents to Rome when I was 8 is that my father taught me how to catch lizards in the ruins there. But I don't remember anything else about Rome. Apparently, catching lizards was very interesting to me as an eight year old whereas a bunch of Roman monuments weren't.

The only thing I remember from the 6th grade is when a teacher singled me out and said something that humiliated me in front of the whole class. Feeling humiliated evoked a lot of intense emotion in me at the time and perhaps that's why I remember this. But I don't remember any of the other students in my class or even what the teacher who humiliated me looked like. I do seem more likely to have remembered other events from my past that involved a lot of emotion.

But I guess that going to a relative's wedding or even to my grandmother's 80th birthday party must not have been that interesting to me. Maybe they seemed like a lot of other family gatherings to me and nothing special or memorable. I also find that I sometimes have a general notion about some things that happened in my past but I don't remember any of the details at all or the sequence that events occurred in.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (10-19-19), Kunga Dorji (10-21-19), kwalk (01-07-20), namazu (10-18-19), TygerSan (10-19-19)