View Single Post
Old 12-23-17, 05:14 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to allPoppnNSailinMan is a name known to all
Re: DWI from Adderall, and cops didn't see me driving?

WOW! I'm shocked to read this.

But I've never had any negative encounters with police besides getting pulled over once for making a right turn on a red light when there was a no right on red sign posted (I got a ticket) and getting yelled at once by a police officer from the window of a passing cruiser for jaywalking late at night across a deserted street.

I had no idea that it's possible to get arrested for DUI when you aren't actually driving or aren't in your car.

And it's also kind of ironic that you were arrested for taking a medication that was probably making your driving better, not worse.

In his book, Taking Charge of Adult ADHD, Russell Barkley continually emphasizes the importance of people with ADHD being on ADHD meds because of the risk they pose to themselves and others when they're driving unmedicated. Barkley is one of the top experts in the country on ADHD and this issue is especially important to him because his own brother who had ADHD was killed in a fatal car accident in 2006. As he says, "the most common cause of car accidents is driver inattention," so it's not too surprising that studies have shown that people with ADHD tend to:
  • Have more than twice as many accidents in which they were at fault.
  • Have slower and more variable reaction times when driving.
  • Make more impulsive errors while driving.
  • Be far more inattentive and distractible while driving than other adults.
  • Have more severe crashes as measured by dollar damages and people injured.
  • Have nearly three times more speeding tickets.

Because of all this, Barkley says:
  • If your ADHD is moderate to severe, be sure you're taking your ADHD medication whenever driving.
  • Also take your medication if operating vehicles or heavy equipment is part of your work.
  • What is also important here is to take your medication on a schedule that ensures that you'll have adequate levels of medication in your bloodstream when you're most likely to be driving, such as morning and evening commuting or late-night driving for work or social occasions.

In the section of his book where he gives reasons for someone with ADHD to take ADHD meds, he brings up the fact that it tends to make them safer drivers.

When I'm on the Vyvanse that I'm taking now, my driving is definitely much better and I don't get distracted and my mind doesn't wander as much as it does when I'm unmedicated.

When I decided earlier this year to try taking a stimulant again, one of the reasons I told my doctor for why I felt this was important was because I felt that it would make me a safer driver. This is especially true because I've had a serious accident before. About 9 years ago, I was in a car accident where I was driving at night on a dark road and went through a stop sign right out into oncoming traffic. Both my own car and the car that hit me were totaled, the driver of the other car suffered a broken arm and I had to get stitches for a scalp laceration once I got to the hospital. And, of course, my insurance company had to pay out a bunch of money to the driver of the other car and my own insurance premiums went way up.

I don't know for sure to what extent my own ADHD might have contributed to the accident I was in, but I was unmedicated at the time and I agree with Barkley that it's important for people with ADHD to take ADHD meds if they're going to drive.

So, hopefully your attorney will bring up the expert opinion of someone like Russell Barkley to show why taking your Adderall probably made you a safer driver, not a more dangerous one.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
DazyedDan505 (12-23-17), psychopathetic (12-23-17), Snoopy10 (01-14-18)