View Single Post
Old 11-20-18, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,912 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: things you can do before the end of this year to improve your life

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Thanks Jacksper! I don't actually have any ideas for my dad yet. I asked him to pick originally. He chose swimming which he never could get himself to go do. Thought maybe I could join a pickleball group with him that meets a couple times a week. But it's all on the west side and he doesn't want to drive so far. I tried to get him to just walk at a shopping center for an hour a day, but he's not doing it. I ask him again if he has any ideas on what he might enjoy doing - nothing. What do you do with someone who just won't help himself? I'd just leave him to deteriorate but there's no doubt I will have to take care of him more once he's doing really bad. The only way I ever get him to exercise at all is for me to do it with him and I wouldn't be able to stand spending that much time with him.

As far as brain function goes, I'm just starting to look into that. What I've tried so far he won't keep up with. If you have ideas, I'm all ears.

I'm looking into senior homes now. Maybe those people there would get him off his butt and moving. But those things are obscenely expensive here in the US so it'd be so much better if he would take the tiniest effort to get off his butt and do something.

As for me, I've just got my new computer set up so am going to start playing the exercise VR games again. Some are actually great exercise like the boxing games will tire you out like crazy and I can easily get myself to do it. The only issue with them is that they are all purely aerobic and not muscle building. I tried lifting weights before and they are just too boring for me to keep up so I've pretty much given up on that. I'll also start tennis again after I do some rehab on my knees/shoulders and if it turns out tennis just always hurts my body, I'm going to give pickleball a try.

Sorry, I wrote too much and feel like I'm taking over your thread. But I appreciated you asking so responded.
Maybe check with your local college and see if there is someone doing anything
with geriatrics who would be your dad's exercise buddy for a small fee a couple
of times a week? In my town we have a senior center where they do everything
from playing cards to sewing bees to dances and other stuff. Is there something
like that close enough for your dad to get there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Last 2 days I've had 2 coffees instead of 3. Feel like I'm dying of exhaustion!!!
Your body is used to the caffeine all day long. Maybe stay with 3 cups a day
but don't fill them all the way full?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Jacksper (01-01-19)