View Single Post
Old 02-12-10, 05:56 PM
Contributor

teacher abc will become famous soon enough
Re: 12 Things ADHD High Schoolers want their Teachers to Know

I am a Special Education teacher and also an "adoptive" (not really adopted legally...just in every other way) parent of a child in college with ADHD. That is a wonderful list. I plan to copy it and distribute it after break. Fairly recently, I came across a colleague in a grad school class that told me that she did not believe that learning disabilities do not exist...I don't even want to tell you what she said about ADHD. She thinks the kids are all lazy. I just shook my head and walked away, feeling sorry for her students. I can see how much the ADHD impacts my son who is struggling in college. He missed the discussion in English class about the paper due Monday, so he really didn't know until today what he has to do. Now, it might not seem like a big deal to a lot of people (like my daughter) to do a two page paper over the weekend, or to me, it is to a kid who has trouble sitting still for than 15 minutes at a clip. When he was in high school, people called him lazy, never figured out that with a scribe, he could write an essay and knew how to write well...