View Single Post
Old 06-30-10, 03:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and Cheating -- Related?

The statistics on cheating aren't good. Something like upwards of 70% of people cheat on their partner. Clearly it's not an adhd thing.

People can have adhd and be ********.

The problem with questions of this nature is that these are issues of morality not biology (although I have heard the stuff about men must spread their seed around tripe I don't find it particularly compelling.. unless you want to accept that women will see you as a wallet .. it's just part of our biology mind you if you see relationships in this way you got bigger problems)

People associate the symptoms of adhd with moral questionability and that is really unfortunate.

I too have a lot of hyperactivity and impulsivity (along with the inattentive symptoms too) I too am a loyal and faithful partner and I couldn't see myself being able to cheat without getting caught. Not that I would want to.

Far too often people take an observation, add a little of this and look for a bit more evidence here and cobble together some idea or other that they think makes sense and more often than not it just doesn't equate to the reality.

Do people with adhd cheat more? Not likely tho I admit that the 'seeds' are there. Would they get caught more often? oh probably not being good at covering your tracks isn't all that unlikely.

Impulsivity isn't a good explanation for cheating..that's stretching it. (unless it's one of those.. "it just happened and what on earth did I just do!!!" one off sorta deals.

What is more likely is being seen as attractive is highly rewarding, highly stimulating, for men often the 'chase' is such an ego reward that some will even become addicted to that phase and set themselves on repeat.

Low self esteem may be more of a factor than impulsivity. Getting a quick ego boost could be pretty seductive.. tho destructive in the long run.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (06-30-10), emma13 (06-30-10), greenmonkey (06-30-10), Imnapl (06-30-10), Michiko74 (06-30-10), RedHairedWitch (06-30-10)