View Single Post
Old 04-21-17, 04:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you feel especially unique and distinguished from your nonADHD counterparts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aur462 View Post
My wife claims she has "combined" ADHD, but I would lovingly refer to her personality, at least in the realm of "outside the box" traits, as being rather mundane. She also did very well in school, living on a university campus during high school junior and senior year, earning college and High school credit. She does have the ADHD traits, but her ability to circumvent the ATTENTION DEFICIT aspect and highly achieve academically always seemed counterintuitive and suspicious to her diagnosis. She's had 1 shrink and a neurologist confirm this (anomalous?). She said she could tell a big difference when she started Adderall - ? I bet you did.
I think being combined gets a really bad wrap. its like being the misfit. People tend to think we "have the best of both worlds" in the adhd population. Like the hyperactivity makes us social butterflies and do well with school and friends and the inattention gets ignored because sometimes our achievments overshadow our difficulties. Forget about the impulsivity. That part usually gets dismissed because for some, it doesnt manifest as shocking enough, or "out there" enough to even be considered. And I dont mean this to you, or even people here, but sometimes there are sort of snooty people who think that being combined isnt real, or cant be actual trouble and that only people who have difficulty concentrating have real problems. Even though the DSM doesnt use the term 'combined' anymore- i still think it exists.

Quote:
So I know there are some "straight-forward" personalities out there, including my wife, in the ADHD "community" but...What about y'all. Are you weird? Offbeat? Particularly creative? anxious/other psychiatric inconveniences? One of a kind? Underachieving (you were almost certainly blessed with this).
Again, this isnt directed at you or your beliefs but I also think that the ideas of being "quirky,unique,out-of-the-box-thinkers,and creative are just nice ways of making ourselves superior to each other, and other types of adhd'rs and other mental disorders. Its much nicer to say those things when comparing how we deal with the non-adhd folk, then it is to embrace the pain behind it. I hope your wife is validated, because I can tell you that feeling like a "run-of-the-mill" adhd person can be just as alienating.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
finallyfound10 (04-25-17), speculative (04-24-17)
Sponsored Links