View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 01:15 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

JOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond reputeJOHNCG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and General Intelligence - the Biological Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
He does have ADHD, this stimulates him.
Yes, but to be fair, Ginnie, the discussions I start are also about relevant and important - never trivial- ADHD issues, the kind that I think need to be debated on a public forum.

I cannot help it that ADDF is an open-access public forum whose resident (and sizeable) "peanut gallery" will inevitably "go off" like champaign corks whenever a challenging or controversial ADHD topic is presented?? To be honest, I do admit a little schadenfreude, because sometimes it can be quite funny; but if that were my sole purpose in sending posts, well, it would be pretty poor sport really, Ginnie, wouldn't it?

For example, I think that it is vital for the ADHD community to debate the high comorbidity of the disorder in adults with Antisocial Personality Disorder because I think this issue, in particular, is looming as one of the most all-bracing questions of political change for the ADHD community in the West.

Yet when I begin a post on the matter I am accused of "trolling". (Which I think means cyber-vandalising?)

Likewise, the need to generally tighten up and make more objective the diagnostic process for adults with suspected ADHD, given material evidence of over- diagnosis and the problem of individuals faking symptoms (which is easy to do)
in order to access stimulant drugs like Dexedrine, etc; for performance enhancement.

When I said in posts, regarding this, it would be a very good idea if clinicians evaluating adults for ADHD began increasingly to make clear a professional expectation that hard, historical documentary evidence of (psychosocial) impairment form a part of the diagnostic process, I was told by most posters that I was crazy.

It doesn't bother me because I think that ADHD is a very serious social issue and stirring up debate on legitimate ADHD issues is always a good thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOHNCG For This Useful Post:
BananaCookie (03-07-14), ginniebean (06-24-12)