View Single Post
Old 06-22-12, 02:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ADHD and General Intelligence - the Biological Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNCG View Post
Yes, but to be fair, Ginnie, the discussions I start are also about relevant and important - never trivial- ADHD issues, the kind that I think need to be debated on a public forum.

I cannot help it that ADDF is an open-access public forum whose resident (and sizeable) "peanut gallery" will inevitably "go off" like champaign corks whenever a challenging or controversial ADHD topic is presented?? To be honest, I do admit a little schadenfreude, because sometimes it can be quite funny; but if that were my sole purpose in sending posts, well, it would be pretty poor sport really, Ginnie, wouldn't it?
I think I may be one of the few who do 'get' you on here. Now, I agree you do bring up serious topics and ones that do need to be debated. That they are so consistently controversial, well I know where that comes from too!

But to be fair, I will say you do not bring up topics for the sole purpose of stirring up the crap and I've said many times that the posts you bring up, while not comfortable, and definitely challenge people, are relevant and worth taking a go at. I don't think you expect people to agree with you, and you play devils advocate well.

Quote:
For example, I think that it is vital for the ADHD community to debate the high comorbidity of the disorder in adults with Antisocial Personality Disorder because I think this issue, in particular, is looming as one of the most all-bracing questions of political change for the ADHD community in the West.
Why do you think this is 'looming'? Now I'm curious about your choice of words.

Quote:
Likewise, the need to generally tighten up and make more objective the diagnostic process for adults with suspected ADHD, given material evidence of over- diagnosis and the problem of individuals faking symptoms (which is easy to do)
in order to access stimulant drugs like Dexedrine, etc; for performance enhancement.
Given that only around 5% of the adult population is even diagnosed and less than that medicated I'm torn here. Yes, there are people who drug seek, yet I think you could be charged with scrupulosity .. but probably no more proportionally than the, 'come one come all' naivete of many others.

Quote:
It doesn't bother me because I think that ADHD is a very serious social issue and stirring up debate on legitimate ADHD issues is always a good thing.
For myself, I like resolution, and that's often missing in these important dialogues. I do think it's important to go hard on these issues but eventually there does need to be some movement from both sides for it to truly be productive. Now, that is my opinion and perhaps a stylistic one, but I do think it does have greater impact when you challenge hard and then find some way to acknowledge just how multifaceted and complex some of these issues are. I guess I just think it makes for a better thread. Your mileage may vary.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
BR549 (06-24-12), Dizfriz (06-22-12), Fortune (06-22-12), K-Funk (06-22-12), Lunacie (06-24-12), Spacemaster (06-24-12), Unmanagable (06-22-12)