View Single Post
Old 01-11-19, 05:07 PM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold
Re: How do I avoid overwhelming myself?

When my emotions build up until a meltdown, it's usually because of one of these factors:

1. I failed to express assertively what I wanted in a situation, and then once I get taken advantage of I feel resentful and blow up.
2. I failed to express honestly what my emotions were in a healthy way: "I am experiencing [x] because you [y] and I would like you to [z]. Then I would feel better." For example, "I am experiencing anger because you really inconvenienced me by being late and I would like you to be on time next time. Then I would feel better." When I don't do that, the alternative is to let the feelings build up, feel I am impotent to express them, and then they finally explode in a volcano of blame and self-pity. Pretty toxic!
3. Live to please others. Usually leads to a lot of resentment, because no-one will ever be as appreciative as I want them to be, and I don't get to be myself and do the things that make me happy.

Just some thoughts!

Regards,
Daniel

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.

Last edited by Daniel1970; 01-11-19 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-28-19)