View Single Post
Old 03-13-08, 06:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

Okay, now we are in the right place, Codykins!

First, make sure you run any supplements you are considering through your child's doctor, and research the ingredients in the herbal/amino acid ones. Many are safe but for not long-term. Natural does not mean safe.

We, as well as many others also have a lot of response with the omegas. There seems to be differing opinions and responses with high DHA or high EPA. The Durham trials used high EPA forumulas. We tried the high DHA first and also only have good response with the higher EPA. Some do well with krill oil or emu oil too. Just make sure whatever you get is pharmaceutical grade and distilled, which are best found through sources online.

Magnesium is another supplement along with zinc that is getting some attention with treating ADHD, but again discuss this with the doctor for consideration. I had my son's serum levels tested for zinc and magnesium, and both were fine, and I felt better to do that rather than unecessarily supplement.

Some have good response with amino acids, and again, this should be done through a qualified practitioner as messing with neurological chemistry can be messy without knowing your unique makeup.

My son did the Dore program, and it has helped him in many ways. I wish it were around and we did it when he was old enough to start, at age 7. It sorted out a lot of his issues. I have also researched the CogMed program which works on attention, and working memory, one of the executive functions. It has an excellent track record and valid research to back it up. It's a fun program for the kids to do as well, though it is very intense, 5 weeks and bam, you've got results. Worth looking into if one fits the profile.

Along with common sense eating good diet, getting enough sleep, and exercise all decrease/manage the symptoms of ADHD too.

Ummm, that's all I can think of for now.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
*KJ* (03-11-11), rickymooston (03-22-15), Tilly (04-28-08)
Sponsored Links