View Single Post
Old 03-19-08, 03:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

a59yankee, I can really identify with your post. My son wasn't diagnosed with ADHD - combined, emphasis on the H, until adulthood and we knew very little about ADHD/ADD - just some misinformation from the media. We just functioned as a family, accepted each individual as they are and supported each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a59yankee View Post
Iím just beginning on the journey with my 10 yo son who was recently diagnosed (3 months ago) with combination ADHD. To top it off, heís also academically gifted which has delayed the reality of it
I always suspected my son had a lot of ability and his assessment for ADHD included screening for LDs and abilities which proved it. His academic performance didn't start to decline until grade ten, but he always performed above the radar and his teachers liked him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a59yankee View Post
NO MEDICATION! Ditto.

What (I believe) has helped out of everything Iíve tried is (in order that I think has helped the most so far:
- He started Taekwondo classes six weeks ago (exercise, focus, discipline, self-confidence)Karate, Boy Scouts, competitive skating, competitive running, skiing - cross country and downhill, dirt bikes, camping, hiking - did I mention hyperactivity?
- More protein in his diet (especially at breakfast)Ditto.
- Omega 3 fish oil (we have been using Coromega and also ground flax seed)scientists hadn't connected these to the brain yet
- Attitude adjustment on my part-big ditto
- Checklists and Rewards program (the verdict is still out on this one, though)
>>-Barbara Coloroso is my hero and she doesn't believe in bribing kids either.
Things weíre just starting (over the last couple of weeks)
- less junk food (we donít eat a lot to begin with, but thereís room for improvement)ditto
- packing school lunch instead of cafeteria food-came home or packed lunch
- slowly incorporating more organic food & less processed food
- more consistent dinner time

I was fortunate to be able to be a stay-at-home mom when my kids were in school and when I rejoined the workforce, I worked school hours. My daughter really struggles with organization and if she hadn't had the support I was able to give her, she would have had a much more difficult time at school. She went to regular swim and skating lessons instead of preschool. Did I mention hyperactivity?

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
a59yankee (03-27-08)